Friday, November 20, 2009

Very Sad News..

We got word yesterday that the a couple that is in our ABF and mission group lost their baby (Hannah) yesterday afternoon. Hannah was 2 months old. I found out later that she and her older sister (who is 3) were with their Dad and the Dad (Eugene) and Paige (older sister) laid Hannah down for a nap yesterday afternoon and later found her pale and not breathing. They called 911 and the EMS told Eugene how to perform CPR over the phone while they were waiting on the EMS to get there. They rushed her to the hospital but unfortunately, she was GONE!

We have all been so heartbroken over this, and I have especially been very 'torn up' about the news. You see, this is a couple in our church who are new believers in the Lord, who have been trying to get their life on track! They have struggled in so many ways with things of the past, and they have dealt with losing jobs, Jessica (the Mom) was robbed this year on the job while being pregnant with Hannah. They have also struggled financially. I don't mean just a little bit, but seriously struggled!! I could go on and on.. but I tell you this to let you know what they have already been through.

When Jessica had Hannah, I went to the hospital to see them on my way to work one night. I felt kind of drawn to them because I knew they needed 'love' and people around them that cared! The day I saw Jessica in the hospital, I didn't get to see Hannah because she was in the special care nursery. She was born term, but had some breathing issues after birth. Her breathing was really fast and because of this she had to stay in the hospital a little longer until it slowed. When they brought Hannah home her breathing was still a little fast and it kept improving with time. Our class took meals to them and Grace and I took a meal to them that first week they were home (while Adam was working). I remember looking down at precious little Hannah with very blonde hair (like her Daddy) and blue eyes. Her Momma had her wrapped in a pink fleece blanket and she was just beautiful. Soon after Jessica started bringing her to church. I think of all the times I looked at her and was so close to her and I didn't know she was going to be GONE just like that! Her Mom had her in a sling one Sunday and she slept so peacefully during church. I also remember the Sunday before last when we had our mission group in the gym. Hannah laid in her carrier and slept the whole time until the very end and she woke up hungry and Jessica was shuffling to get her a bottle together. I remember going to get the water in the bathroom so Jessica could mix her a bottle, and helping her..

Then, I think about this past Sunday. I sat by Jessica at church and at the mission group on Sunday night. We sat right next to each other on the couch while she held Hannah. She slept some of the time and was alert some too. I remember telling Jessica how alert she is now! Her big blue eyes looked at me as I smiled and 'baby talked' to her! She was looking at me right in the eye. I gave Jessica a paci for her that night too, because she had told me that she liked the green hospital pacifiers, and I had one that Grace never used. So I gave that to her and she sucked on it this night and went to sleep while we were there.

I tell you this because it is therapeutic for me too. I couldn't sleep last night because I was replaying every thing in my mind. Once again, I was blatantly reminded that we are not guaranteed tomorrow and that my troubles are not anything compared to what others are facing!

They think Hannah died of SIDS. They are doing an autopsy to make sure. Our class is also going to be working with them to help any way we can. So we will be attending a funeral for a precious babe in the next few days! Oh,... I dread it! I have mourned and mourned.. I can't imagine what her parents must be feeling! Please pray for them!!

As I think about this.. I try to find consolation.. I think of this song by Don Moen........

Think about His love, think about His goodness
Think about His grace that's brought us through
For as high as the heavens above
So great is the measure of our father's love
Great is the measure of our Father's love

So great is the measure of our Father's love

How could I forget His love
And how could I forget His mercies
He satisfies, He satisfies, He satisfies my desires

Think about His love, think about His goodness
Think about His grace that's brought us through
For as high as the heavens above
So great is the measure of our father's love
Great is the measure of our Father's love

Great is the measure
Great is the measure

Great is the measure
Great is the measure of our Father's love
Great is the measure of our Father's love


(this is a video I found very quickly of him singing the song, it may be a little different from the lyrics.. but same song!) I praise God that we can find comfort in HIM and HIS love!



2 comments:

Cheryl said...

This breaks my heart!!! So many times we complain or feel sorry for ourselves when what we are going through is nothing compared to a loss like a child or any family member. We have so much to be thankful for and just need to get over petty things and go on with our lives and thank the Lord everyday for His grace and mercy!!!

Anonymous said...

WOW...holly this makes me tear up, the idea of losing either of my babies breaks my heart, I cant fathom the pain this family feels! We will pray diligently for them and for you and Adam as you continue to reach out to them! God is sovereign even in situations we do not understand he gives and takes away but Blessed be his name always! I love ya girl, please let us know if there is any way we can help out!